Wednesday 18 May 2011

Picady - A small house with a sad story - April 2011

Just up the road from the picturesque Dobbs Weir is an overgrown plot of land that I have been driving past for months.
Behind the brambles is a what looks like a very large collapsing shed, every time I turn my head at it and wonder if there is anything of interest in it.
Had it been bigger and made of brick then I would have been in like a shot, but this? Is it going to be worth the trek and the scratches??

It turns out that its called 'Picardy', probably named after the province in Northern France famed for The Battle of the Somme, so I did my normal research and came up with a very sad news paper article about the place

It would appear that there was a caravan type mobile home in the garden of Picardy, it's not clear whether anybody still lived in the house itself at the time, but going by the dates on some of the stuff inside then I would guess that the house was in such a poor state of repair that it was abandoned and the caravan in the garden became the new home.

The caravan base is just visible through the sea of stinging nettles

In September 2010 a planning application for 4 detached houses was rejected by Epping Forest Council























 

1 comment:

  1. A time capsule - each picture tells a chapter of the story of a life.

    ReplyDelete